Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Gluten Free Diet

Many of you may have noticed that most of the gluten free products available on the market are high in simple carbohydrates and low in protein and fiber. This has been a concern for me for many years since I often don't have the time to cook healthy, whole grain meals at home. Even if I can eat a healthy breakfast and dinner, I find I need a whole grain lunch as well to keep my energy up until bedtime.

While on the go, I've tried many GF snack bars, but find they lead to weight gain, hunger, and exhaustion. Some people have suggested to "just eat meat, fruit and vegetables rather than whole grains," but I find this both makes me lose weight - fast - and leads to fatigue. Others have said, "you need more fat" or "you need more protein." Although I do find extra protein helps, it doesn't help as much as complex carbs. I think with fad diets and public perception, complex carbs have been underemphasized over the last few years. I have come to see that they are extremely important for energy level and health, which means anyone who is gluten free must pay careful attention to what food groups they are eating at each meal.

Stay tuned for product reviews and recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment